How far would you drive to get your beer?
ba ba booie
2006-03-04 08:40:16 UTC
How far would you drive to get your beer?

I got a 12 pack of Samuel Smith's with 3 bottles each of 4 different
blends.

They were all the big boy bottles (1pint 2.7 fluid ounces) for $32.85
for the case.

My pick of the beers were;
Winter Welcome Ale
Organically Produced Lager Beer
Nut Brown Ale
India Ale

I figured I would try their other fine products instead of only getting
the case of the Nut Brown Ale. I passed on the
Taddy Porter and the Oatmeal Stout this time around. Maybe next time?

I will tell you that this is no ordinary beer or beer company. There is
love and care in each bottle. I can taste it!

The Winter Ale was a good one.
Now I am on the India Ale.
That also is a good one.

I don't know why I like this company that makes this beer. It taste so
real!!!
You know what I am talking about?

I can't wait to try the Organically Produced Lager. I want to see what
that taste like. (see what that taste like?)
They say the malted barley & hops used to brew this lager have been
organically grown without the use of chemical sprays or artificial
fertilizers.
I wonder if that make a difference?

Do most beer companies have their barley & hops chemically sprayed?

Yuck!

It amazes me that some liquor/beer stores don't even carry this beer or
other fine beers. I guess they stock what sells. Coors, Miller &
Budweiser,and Bud Lite. This is DEFINITELY a regional thing. Some towns
and or states just won't sell good beer. I guess if it doesn't sell then
why stock it? Some people will never know. What a shame. : (

Sometimes you have to hunt these places out that sell good beer. Luckily
my store is near my house (20min) or it is on the way home from work.

How far would you drive to get your beer?

ps.
As I type this the (Mahavishnu Orcherstra/ Birds of Fire) is playing on
my radio (Sirius). This is a good one to go with my beers. That was John
McGlaughin's band right? There was another album by the band that was
good, I forgot what it was.

I love my radio (Sirius)

booie..........

.

.
Have you checked these sites out today?
http://www.jambase.com
http://www.jambands.com
http://www.jambase.com/festivals
.
Find out where your favorite band is playing.
Pollstar (The concert hotwire) http://www.pollstar.com
Tom Beck
2006-03-04 10:10:17 UTC
Post by ba ba booie
How far would you drive to get your beer?
I got a 12 pack of Samuel Smith's with 3 bottles each of 4 different
blends.
I can have that a five minute drive from my house.
Post by ba ba booie
They were all the big boy bottles (1pint 2.7 fluid ounces) for $32.85
for the case.
My pick of the beers were;
Winter Welcome Ale
Organically Produced Lager Beer
Nut Brown Ale
India Ale
Good choices.
Post by ba ba booie
I figured I would try their other fine products instead of only getting
the case of the Nut Brown Ale. I passed on the
Taddy Porter and the Oatmeal Stout this time around. Maybe next time?
Whatever tingles your tongue.
Post by ba ba booie
I will tell you that this is no ordinary beer or beer company. There is
love and care in each bottle. I can taste it!
Sammy Smith is good stuff, no bouta doubt it.
Post by ba ba booie
The Winter Ale was a good one.
Now I am on the India Ale.
That also is a good one.
I don't know why I like this company that makes this beer. It taste so
real!!!
You know what I am talking about?
I can't wait to try the Organically Produced Lager. I want to see what
that taste like. (see what that taste like?)
They say the malted barley & hops used to brew this lager have been
organically grown without the use of chemical sprays or artificial
fertilizers.
I wonder if that make a difference?
Rather unlikely.
Post by ba ba booie
Do most beer companies have their barley & hops chemically sprayed?
Yes.
Post by ba ba booie
Yuck!
Better living through chemistry.
Post by ba ba booie
How far would you drive to get your beer?
Probably not 20 minutes worth of driving.

Tom
It's all right Ma, I'm only sighing.
Ian Rastall
2006-03-04 10:08:41 UTC
Post by ba ba booie
There was another album by the band that was
good, I forgot what it was.
I would suggest Inner Mounting Flame ... and I'm really getting into
some of his stuff with Carlos Santana, namely Love Devotion Surrender
and Live Divine. Or was that *all* of his stuff with him?

Ian
http://sundry.ws/
Sherwood Shark
2006-03-04 14:48:53 UTC
Post by ba ba booie
Sometimes you have to hunt these places out that sell good beer. Luckily
my store is near my house (20min) or it is on the way home from work.
How far would you drive to get your beer?
If you've ever lived in a dry county, you find you will drive as long as
it takes to get to the beer!
Julia
2006-03-07 00:43:45 UTC
Drive?! When you live in a small down with a church and bar on every
corner all you need to rely on is the Shoeleather Express. Not too many
home brews though. All aboard!
Joe
2006-03-04 16:21:00 UTC
Post by ba ba booie
Do most beer companies have their barley & hops chemically sprayed?
Not only that, but beer often contains genetically modified ingrediants
(www.truefoodnow.org).

Your only protection against the evils of Monsanto is to drink organic and
eat organic.

They got you coming and going. If the pesticides don't get you then the
genetically modified hops and barely will!

Ain't America Great?
Sherwood Shark
2006-03-04 17:00:25 UTC
Post by Joe
Ain't America Great?
Yes, as long as I stay drunk and watch Idol. ;)
minnehaha
2006-03-04 22:36:49 UTC
Living near Philadelphia, I often drive to Delaware for beer. In PA you can
only by beer by the case and they tax the shit out of it. They do sell
sampler cases (6 x 4 kinds) but I've been burned on those, and even the
decent ones always have a flavor or two that I'd never buy by itself. And
who really wants to buy a CASE of all the same beer all the time? Even the
best beers leave me wanting some variety after a while. Luckily across the
state line there are some good stores with plenty of four or six packs. So
once every couple months I drive about an hour round trip for beer. Usually
I can make up for the gas money by returning all the bottles I bought from
PA for a deposit (no bottle bill in PA).

If you ever want wine or booze, luckily you don't have to buy a case, but
you DO have to go to a separate store.
Brad Greer
2006-03-05 20:28:37 UTC
Post by minnehaha
Living near Philadelphia, I often drive to Delaware for beer. In PA you can
only by beer by the case and they tax the shit out of it. They do sell
sampler cases (6 x 4 kinds) but I've been burned on those, and even the
decent ones always have a flavor or two that I'd never buy by itself. And
who really wants to buy a CASE of all the same beer all the time? Even the
best beers leave me wanting some variety after a while. Luckily across the
state line there are some good stores with plenty of four or six packs. So
once every couple months I drive about an hour round trip for beer. Usually
I can make up for the gas money by returning all the bottles I bought from
PA for a deposit (no bottle bill in PA).
Funny, I live in NJ and sometimes drive out to PA to stock up on beer
from Shangy's in Emmaus (right around Allentown). They have excellent
prices and the best collection of microbrews in one location
imaginable. Plus, the guys who run the place really, really like
their beer. You can ask them about virtually any brand of beer and
they'll give you some good information to help judge if you'll like
it. Plus, any beer store that has hand trucks instead of shopping
carts has got their priorities straight in my book.

Yes, you have to buy a case of any given beer (a case being 12 bottles
if it's the big "bomber bottles") but I go there only a few times a
year and stock up. In between, I buy beer by the six from a local
liquor store, but picking up 5 or 6 cases of beers (some of which
aren't available in NJ, others that are just cheaper at Shangy's) is
well worth it for me.
Dave Kelly
2006-03-05 21:39:11 UTC
Post by Brad Greer
Yes, you have to buy a case of any given beer (a case being 12 bottles
if it's the big "bomber bottles") but I go there only a few times a
year and stock up. In between, I buy beer by the six from a local
liquor store, but picking up 5 or 6 cases of beers (some of which
aren't available in NJ, others that are just cheaper at Shangy's) is
well worth it for me.
* Damn..I forgot how weird new jersey is...I remember when
I was a kid, you couldn't buy clothes on sunday...some blue law.
I have a question for all you east coast punks...when you gonna
wake up and move out west?....I mean, why do you DO this
to yourselves?....I can walk outta my office....score weed from
the "clinic"....cop a 12 pack at the gas station...buy an adult
VHS tape at the candy store...and be home before you're
1/2 way to the car to drive 40 miles to buy shitty beer!
Now if you will EXCUSE me...I'm late to my Oscar party.
In Shallah!

Sweetbac Productions
Brad Greer
2006-03-06 03:13:11 UTC
Post by Dave Kelly
Post by Brad Greer
[...]
Move west? And not be able to drive to Geno's to get a cheesesteak?
Surely, you're kidding.

Besides, all I have to do is hang with some friends in "the city" (as
Booie likes to say) and dial a couple of numbers - 10 minutes later
delivery people show up at the door with weed, beer and kangaroo porn.
For good customers they'll even deliver out in the suburbs.
Jeff
2006-03-06 06:27:06 UTC
Post by Brad Greer
10 minutes later
delivery people show up at the door with weed, beer and kangaroo porn.
The MPs are coming to get you.

That's the Marsupial Police of course.

~Jeff
Never Travelled in A Pouch
Julia
2006-03-07 00:46:24 UTC
If you're in PA and want a good beer, find some Magic Hat. Think it
comes from one of the New England states, but not sure. Pick your
poison. My preference is #9. Plus there's secret messages on the caps.
Schmoe
2006-03-05 01:39:30 UTC
Post by ba ba booie
I figured I would try their other fine products instead of only
getting the case of the Nut Brown Ale.
Knowingly in the minority, I like a good nut brown beer but not all nut
browns are of equal quality. For most folk, it's too much flavor in a brew.
JonP
2006-03-05 18:33:00 UTC
Ahh..One of my favorite songs on the subject appears on one of my all
time favorite albums...
Short Sharp Shocked....All of this takes place in East Texas....

(Making the Run to) Gladewater

Written by Michelle Shocked

Well, Upshur County's drier than an empty bottle
Since the Mormon's come to town, yeah
And to run out of beer, thats a run to Gladewater
Highway 79 thirty miles on down now
You know, fair is fair but life's a gamble
When it's eleven forty-five, yeah
And it's a toss of the coin to see who's got fifteen minutes
To make a thirty minute drive

Something like this:
It was Saturday night
You was sitting 'round the square
Ohh, small town Texas sons and daughters
But you lost the toss, yeah
That means you're taking up the money
Ohh, that means you're making the run
Making the run
Making the run to Gladewater

Here's what you do:
You hustle all your buddies off the back of your truck
You grab your girl, you say 'C'mon lets...'
You tuck your jeans in your boots (that's what you do)
You slap your gimme-cap on
You turn the country music radio station louder than you oughta
But it's okay, you're on your way
Ohh, you lost the toss, you're taking the money
You're making the run to Gladewater
Run, boy!

Now it's 79 to the county line
It's the Minit Mart with not one to spare
And your friends in Gilmer, are they your friends indeed, why?
Well, you got their money and their six-pack of beer, that's why

Yeah, it was Saturday night
You was sitting 'round the square
Ohh, small town Texas sons and daughters
But you lost the toss, yeah
That means you're taking up the money, yeah
That means you're making the run
Making the run
Making the run to Gladewater

Oh, you are making the run
You are making the run
Oh, you are making the run
Making the run, making the run to Gladewater
Spider Dawg
2006-03-05 23:38:42 UTC
While visiting relatives in 'Bama, we used to make a 30-mile run to the
line for cases, or the bootleggers for 6's. The money saved on the cases
paid the gas money, but if all you wanted was a 6 it was better to just
drive a couple miles to a bootlegger. Not that *I* ever did anything
like that, not me, no. I just *heard* about it, understand.

Me, I buy growlers from brewpubs. The 4 main breweries I buy beer from
are within about 5 miles, with several more within about 10. Some of my
favorite breweries include:

Royal Oak Brewery
Detroit Beer Co
Rochester Mills Brew Co
Lily's Seafood
Woodward Ave Brewery
Bostone's Belgian Restaurant
Dragonmead Brewery
Whatever they're calling the old Atwater Block Brewery these days

Plus a few more in Pontiac and Ann Arbor. For a road trip Bell's in
K'zoo.

ND: Woodward Ave Brewery (Ferndale) Pale Ale

Jim

http://www.michiganbeerguide.com
band beyond description
2006-03-06 13:25:54 UTC
Post by JonP
Ahh..One of my favorite songs on the subject appears on one of my all
time favorite albums...
Short Sharp Shocked....All of this takes place in East Texas....
(Making the Run to) Gladewater
We did something like that, growing up on the northern border of
Chicago when the drinking ages were always changing, state-to-state and
beer-to-booze, first 19, then 21 depending on beer, wine or hard
liquor; yeah, we coulda just cruised 4 blocks into nearby Chicago to
pick up a sixer of Old Style, but what's the fun in that? *Might as
well* do the 40-minute expressway cruise over the Wisconsin border,
where the drinking age was 18.
--
Peace,
Steve
Joker
2006-03-07 03:15:07 UTC
B-double E-double R-U-N
Beerrun!
B-double E-double R-U-N
Beerrun!
All we need is a ten and fiver,
A set of keys and a sober driver,
B-double E-double R-U-N
Beerrun
(by Todd Snider)
k***@yahoo.com
2006-03-05 01:59:26 UTC
Post by ba ba booie
How far would you drive to get your beer?
I got a 12 pack of Samuel Smith's with 3 bottles each of 4 different
blends.
They were all the big boy bottles (1pint 2.7 fluid ounces) for $32.85
for the case.
My pick of the beers were;
Winter Welcome Ale
Organically Produced Lager Beer
Nut Brown Ale
India Ale
Wow! You omitted my two favorites, Taddy Porter and Imperial Stout
which is definitely number one on my list. The secret to these beers
is since they are in clear bottles, they are *very* susceptible to
getting
skunked. Put a clear bottled beer in the sun, and see what happens.
The same is true for green bottles (Heineken). Hence, pick the bottles
that are out of the light. Trust me, oh, and next time, get an Imperial
Stout.

Kurt
Andy Gefen
Maybe that money could have gone toward health insurance instead ...
JimK
2006-03-05 13:57:03 UTC
On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 08:12:37 -0500, Andy Gefen
Post by Andy Gefen
Post by ba ba booie
How far would you drive to get your beer?
I got a 12 pack of Samuel Smith's with 3 bottles each of 4 different
blends.
They were all the big boy bottles (1pint 2.7 fluid ounces) for $32.85
for the case.
Maybe that money could have gone toward health insurance instead ...
I think it did, in a way.

JimK
Jeff
2006-03-05 14:55:18 UTC
Post by Andy Gefen
Post by ba ba booie
How far would you drive to get your beer?
I got a 12 pack of Samuel Smith's with 3 bottles each of 4 different
blends.
They were all the big boy bottles (1pint 2.7 fluid ounces) for $32.85
for the case.
Maybe that money could have gone toward health insurance instead ...
It's all a matter of priorities. Booie has money for live music, taping equipment, beer,
a little something, road trips, and sushi. But no money for health insurance.

Y'know, when I think about it that way, I really don't ever want to read another booie
post bemoaning that he has no insurance.

~Jeff
JimK
2006-03-05 17:17:52 UTC
On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 07:55:18 -0700, Jeff
Post by Jeff
Post by Andy Gefen
Post by ba ba booie
How far would you drive to get your beer?
I got a 12 pack of Samuel Smith's with 3 bottles each of 4 different
blends.
They were all the big boy bottles (1pint 2.7 fluid ounces) for $32.85
for the case.
Maybe that money could have gone toward health insurance instead ...
It's all a matter of priorities. Booie has money for live music, taping equipment, beer,
a little something, road trips, and sushi. But no money for health insurance.
Y'know, when I think about it that way, I really don't ever want to read another booie
post bemoaning that he has no insurance.
~Jeff
So it's come to this in America? We're supposed to give up all our
worldly pleasures so we can afford decent health care? Why
bother.....what would be the point of living without those things?

JimK
Tom Beck

It's all right Ma, I'm only sighing.
Richard Morris
2006-03-05 18:47:43 UTC
Post by Jeff
Post by Andy Gefen
Post by ba ba booie
How far would you drive to get your beer?
I got a 12 pack of Samuel Smith's with 3 bottles each of 4 different
blends.
They were all the big boy bottles (1pint 2.7 fluid ounces) for $32.85
for the case.
Maybe that money could have gone toward health insurance instead ...
It's all a matter of priorities. Booie has money for live music, taping equipment, beer,
a little something, road trips, and sushi. But no money for health insurance.
Y'know, when I think about it that way, I really don't ever want to read another booie
post bemoaning that he has no insurance.
~Jeff
So it's come to this in America? We're supposed to give up all our
worldly pleasures so we can afford decent health care? Why
bother.....what would be the point of living without those things?
How else could we lead lives of quiet desperation?

R.
Jeff
2006-03-05 19:59:16 UTC
Post by Jeff
It's all a matter of priorities. Booie has money for live music, taping equipment, beer,
a little something, road trips, and sushi. But no money for health insurance.
Y'know, when I think about it that way, I really don't ever want to read another booie
post bemoaning that he has no insurance.
So it's come to this in America? We're supposed to give up all our
worldly pleasures so we can afford decent health care? Why
bother.....what would be the point of living without those things?
The beauty of Freedom: You can make your own choices.

The ugliness of Freedom: People making their own choices, then complaining about the
consequences.

Spend money on worldly pleasures, spend money on health care, or spend money on kangaroo
porn. Makes no difference to me. But if you choose Kangaroo porn, don't complain when
the member of ICK (I Care for Kangaroos) picket in front of your house.

~Jeff
Brad Greer
2006-03-05 20:39:04 UTC
Post by Jeff
[...]
You just gotta buy your Kangaroo porn from one of those discreet
mail-order places.
Ian Rastall
2006-03-05 21:03:36 UTC
Post by Jeff
spend money on health care, or spend money on kangaroo
porn
To be honest, this has always been my dilemma.

Ian
http://sundry.ws/
g***@hotmail.com
2006-03-06 18:21:58 UTC
I would not go a nanometer for anything with alcohol in it.

Alcohol is a scam.

It is only good for a headache and acting stupid.

I would go to Afghanistan or Thailand for some good cannabis.

Alcohol consumption drops as cannabis availability increases.

People realize how crappy booze is when the have something good to
compare it to.

It is a great cure for alcoholism.

Note the lack of the word cannabism.

.
band beyond description
2006-03-07 08:31:24 UTC
Post by g***@hotmail.com
I would not go a nanometer for anything with alcohol in it.
Alcohol is a scam.
It is only good for a headache and acting stupid.
I would go to Afghanistan or Thailand for some good cannabis.
Alcohol consumption drops as cannabis availability increases.
People realize how crappy booze is when the have something good to
compare it to.
It is a great cure for alcoholism.
Note the lack of the word cannabism.
.
quit getting all sensible on us, now! ##
--
Peace,
Steve
leftie
I thought beer *was* health insurance. Mental health insurance at least.
Andrew Murawa
2006-03-06 20:32:53 UTC
Post by ba ba booie
How far would you drive to get your beer?
Depends... Generally speaking, once every two months or so I make a trip
of an hour or more for no other reason than beer... But, for the most
part, I know where the good liquor stores with a good selection are
around me, and anytime I'm near them and in need of replenishing my
reserves at home, I'll stop in and browse the shelves and pick up
several beers of all shapes, sizes and colors...

Then again, I've picked up on a Friday afternoon and made a nine hour
drive to hit a brewery or six up north over the weekend...