Pyramid Brewery Wit Beer Tasting Notes
sweetbac
2012-05-12 22:11:50 UTC
Lets get it straight from jump street...
I'm an unabashed fan of Pyramid Brewery...
Brewed over in Berkeley, they make good beer
and charge an affordable price. Pyramid Hefe is a staple.
Perusing the local beer aisle after work yesterday, I noticed
12 pack samplers of they various wheat beers..some I never heard.
In addition to their flagship Hefe, it included a Dunkel,
a dry-hopped India Pale Ale, and a Belgian styled Wit.
Lets focus on the Wit...
Nice pour....malty cream and banana on the nose...faint lemon
peel....but wait...hold the phone...mandarin orange coming
thru with a quickness...Oh mama...light..very light spice
on the back end...not a huge knockout on the after-taste...
but there SHOULDN'T be...I'm partial to this style, being a
huge Hoegaarden fan as I am...no...this is a VERY tasty beer.
Hopefully this shows up year round in 6 packs.

Alc. 5.1% By Vol.
$12.99/12 Pack/Cold
Ken Fortenberry
2012-05-13 00:57:13 UTC
Post by sweetbac
Lets get it straight from jump street...
I'm an unabashed fan of Pyramid Brewery...
Brewed over in Berkeley, they make good beer
and charge an affordable price. Pyramid Hefe is a staple.
Perusing the local beer aisle after work yesterday, I noticed
12 pack samplers of they various wheat beers..some I never heard.
In addition to their flagship Hefe, it included a Dunkel,
a dry-hopped India Pale Ale, and a Belgian styled Wit.
Lets focus on the Wit...
Nice pour....malty cream and banana on the nose...faint lemon
peel....but wait...hold the phone...mandarin orange coming
thru with a quickness...Oh mama...light..very light spice
on the back end...not a huge knockout on the after-taste...
but there SHOULDN'T be...I'm partial to this style, being a
huge Hoegaarden fan as I am...no...this is a VERY tasty beer.
Hopefully this shows up year round in 6 packs.
Malty cream on the nose ? LOL ! This poor nutjob has gone around
the bend. BEYOND the bend and then some. It's no wonder the silly
fool converses with Lifshine, they're kith and kin.

Watch out for that quick light spice on your back end, Mook. <snicker>
Ken Fortenberry
wereoawl
2012-05-13 04:03:32 UTC
Post by Ken Fortenberry
Post by sweetbac
[...]
Lifshine is the only one who matters on the internets.

Better luck next time.
sweetbac
2012-05-13 05:05:15 UTC
Malty cream on the nose ? LOL ! This poor nutjob....
Ken Huckleberry
Oh my GOODness!....you best hush, Mildred! <LOL>
Mr Shaker Heights thinks he's gonna school me on suds..
Hmmmm.....now aint THAT a bitch!
Dig, baby...if you can't follow my notes, don't get all uptight
and act the MF'in fool, just be polite, and I'll break it down
for your ass....sounds to me like you've had one too may (4)
Budweiser Lite "Platinum"s down at the tractor pull today?
Ken Fortenberry
2012-05-13 11:55:24 UTC
Malty cream on the nose ? LOL ! This poor nutjob....
Oh my GOODness!....you best hush, Mildred!<LOL> ...
Silly Mook, when oenophiles prattle on they sound pretentious
and snooty. When you do it you just sound stupid. The Beer
Mook, what a hoot.

Carry on.
Ken Fortenberry
wereoawl
You didn't drown in the stuff?
Brad Greer
2012-05-13 04:39:11 UTC
On Sat, 12 May 2012 15:11:50 -0700, "sweetbac"
Post by sweetbac
Lets get it straight from jump street...
I'm an unabashed fan of Pyramid Brewery...
I've always liked their brews when I've been on the west coast,
recently (like the last month) they've started to show up in NJ. A
very welcome addition to the local good beer stores.
Post by sweetbac
Brewed over in Berkeley, they make good beer
and charge an affordable price. Pyramid Hefe is a staple.
Haven't tried the Hefe yet, will do. And yeah, they don't overcharge
for their beers (cough, cough, San Diego brewers).
Post by sweetbac
Perusing the local beer aisle after work yesterday, I noticed
12 pack samplers of they various wheat beers..some I never heard.
In addition to their flagship Hefe, it included a Dunkel,
a dry-hopped India Pale Ale, and a Belgian styled Wit.
Lets focus on the Wit...
Nice pour....malty cream and banana on the nose...faint lemon
peel....but wait...hold the phone...mandarin orange coming
thru with a quickness...Oh mama...light..very light spice
on the back end...not a huge knockout on the after-taste...
but there SHOULDN'T be...I'm partial to this style, being a
huge Hoegaarden fan as I am...no...this is a VERY tasty beer.
Hopefully this shows up year round in 6 packs.
Well, I haven't seen this particular beer around here yet, but I like
Hoegaarden as well, I'll keep my eyes open.

Thanks for the review, I'm sure Kenny boy is enjoying his Budweiser
right now.
Ken Fortenberry
2012-05-13 18:59:09 UTC
<snip>
Thanks for the review, I'm sure Kenny boy is enjoying his Budweiser
right now.
Actually I'm enjoying a Guigal Cotes du Rhone with a caesar salad
after my pasta course. But the Cardinals are on and I'll have an
ice cold Budweiser just as soon as I finish lunch.

The Mook and Lifshine have quite a bit in common, it's hard to
determine whether their shtick is serious or a running gag piece of
Usenet performance art. If they're serious, they're crazy, if it's
a gag it's tedious and has long since quit being funny.

But if you think the Beer Mook shtick is entertaining I guess it
doesn't make any difference one way or the other.
Ken Fortenberry
wereoawl
I don't think you're capable of making value judgements like this.
Just Kidding
2012-05-14 03:49:09 UTC
On Sun, 13 May 2012 13:59:09 -0500, Ken Fortenberry
Post by Ken Fortenberry
<snip>
Thanks for the review, I'm sure Kenny boy is enjoying his Budweiser
right now.
Actually I'm enjoying a Guigal Cotes du Rhone with a caesar salad
after my pasta course. But the Cardinals are on and I'll have an
ice cold Budweiser just as soon as I finish lunch.
Nice 10 to 15 buck bottle of wine, but I wouldn't get all giddy over
it. The Bud might be useful to clean up the wine stains after you
dribble.
Band Beyond Desu
Hints by Heloise?
sweetbac
2012-05-14 22:12:26 UTC
Post by Ken Fortenberry
Actually I'm enjoying a Guigal Cotes du Rhone with a caesar salad
after my pasta course. But the Cardinals are on and I'll have an
ice cold Budweiser just as soon as I finish lunch.
Ken Dangleberry
Coats de Rome...Mf'er PLEASE! <LOL>
NOW this punk is droppin' Eye-Talian on us...
aint THAT a bitch.
Ya see, Kenny boy likes to post tripe like this 'cause
he never got in the game...content to be the "smartest"
guy in his own personal Urbana nightmare...
He couldn't cut it in the bigs, so he tries and compensate
with his the above nonsense...this explains a lot....like the mail
order bride...oh...don't get me wrong...I LIKE Dangleberry...
I really do.
I give him enough leash so he thinks he's free indulge in his charade,
yet know when to yank on his G'damn choke-chain...I reel him in and
bring him back to reality...it's the least I could do.
OK, baby....tell us about the Lesh brunch again...
Oy.
Ken Fortenberry
2012-05-15 14:34:59 UTC
Post by Ken Fortenberry
Actually I'm enjoying a Guigal Cotes du Rhone with a caesar salad
after my pasta course. But the Cardinals are on and I'll have an
ice cold Budweiser just as soon as I finish lunch.
Coats de Rome...Mf'er PLEASE!<LOL>
NOW this punk is droppin' Eye-Talian on us...
Next time the Beer Mook prattles on about litchi nuts on the nose
and a slight hint of watermelon on the palate it would be well
to remember that the silly fool doesn't know the difference
between French and Italian.
aint THAT a bitch.
Yeah, ain't it.
OK, baby....tell us about the Lesh brunch again...
You've talked about that brunch far more than I ever have. And
far more than I intend to.

Carry on, Beer Mook. <giggle>
Ken Fortenberry
sweetbac
2012-05-15 15:45:36 UTC
Post by Ken Fortenberry
Next time the Beer Mook prattles on about litchi nuts on the nose
and a slight hint of watermelon on the palate it would be well
to remember that the silly fool doesn't know the difference
between French and Italian.
Pierre Fartenberry
My work here is done! <LOL>
This dude cracks me all the way up.
Ken Fortenberry
2012-05-15 15:56:18 UTC
Post by Ken Fortenberry
Next time the Beer Mook prattles on about litchi nuts on the nose
and a slight hint of watermelon on the palate it would be well
to remember that the silly fool doesn't know the difference
between French and Italian.
My work here is done!<LOL>
This dude cracks me all the way up.
Your work here has been done for a long time now, Mook. You quit
being funny the third time you said "pictures please", now you're
just making a pathetic fool of yourself.

Carry on.
Ken Fortenberry
sweetbac
2012-05-15 22:30:35 UTC
You quit being funny the third time you said "pictures please", now you're
just making a pathetic fool of yourself.
Carry on.
--
Ken Dingleberry
...and you keep taking the hook.
I'm actually glad yer hear, Kenny!
Ken Fortenberry
2012-05-15 22:50:50 UTC
Post by sweetbac
You quit being funny the third time you said "pictures please", now you're
just making a pathetic fool of yourself.
Carry on.
...and you keep taking the hook.
Thrash around on deck while I get another beer.
I'm actually glad yer hear, Kenny!
Yeah, you had me goin' for a while there but I did say the
whole Beer Mook shtick was likely a running gag of Usenet
performance art. I'm not the only one you've "fooled" and
ultimately the joke will be on you.

What kind of person gets his jollies out of Usenet performance
art ? Like I said, you and Lifshine have a lot in common.

Carry on.
Ken Fortenberry
frndthdevl
2012-05-13 20:29:21 UTC
Post by Brad Greer
I've always liked their brews when I've been on the west coast,
recently (like the last month)
ahh, you traveled with the Ken Fortenberry itenerary. Brunch with Phil
too?
Brad Greer
2012-05-15 21:24:22 UTC
On Sun, 13 May 2012 13:29:21 -0700 (PDT), frndthdevl
Post by frndthdevl
Post by Brad Greer
I've always liked their brews when I've been on the west coast,
recently (like the last month)
ahh, you traveled with the Ken Fortenberry itenerary. Brunch with Phil
too?
No, Ken doesn't check out west coast brewers. Do try to keep up,
Jeff.
frndthdevl
Or members of recgd
Ken Fortenberry
2012-05-15 23:40:04 UTC
Post by frndthdevl
Post by Brad Greer
Post by frndthdevl
Post by Brad Greer
I've always liked their brews when I've been on the west coast,
recently (like the last month)
ahh, you traveled with the Ken Fortenberry itenerary. Brunch with Phil
too?
No, Ken doesn't check out west coast brewers. Do try to keep up,
Jeff.
Or members of recgd
I wouldn't mind meeting up with fellow rmgd'ers. In context. By
that I mean at a show. But I have no interest in meeting anonymous
screen names any place other than at a show and I will never, ever
in a million years bring my wife to a gathering of anonymous screen
names. Especially not THIS gathering of anonymous screen names.
Ken Fortenberry
frndthdevl
2012-05-16 01:51:38 UTC
Post by Ken Fortenberry
Post by frndthdevl
Post by Brad Greer
Post by frndthdevl
Post by Brad Greer
I've always liked their brews when I've been on the west coast,
recently (like the last month)
ahh, you traveled with the Ken Fortenberry itenerary. Brunch with Phil
too?
No, Ken doesn't check out west coast brewers.  Do try to keep up,
Jeff.
Or members of recgd
I wouldn't mind meeting up with fellow rmgd'ers. In context. By
that I mean at a show. But I have no interest in meeting anonymous
screen names any place other than at a show and I will never, ever
in a million years bring my wife to a gathering of anonymous screen
names. Especially not THIS gathering of anonymous screen names.
--
Ken Fortenberry
A slight loss imo, but no biggie. Some folks are built that way. But
also meeting for lunch at some dive chinese restaurant or for that
matter ANY restaurant did not seem so appealing to me either.
Certainly not as appealing as a meeting place like, oh a bar or
brewery!
Hmmm

Ricknbarb
MHealy
glenninsane Diego
Steve Lenier
randy
randy Stoner briefly at a mass tequila thing with even richard Morris
Neil
Sue
Lefty
Joe K
ecocats
Andrew

I think that is most of them.
Fun each and every time.
Band Beyond Desu
2012-05-16 08:45:08 UTC
Post by Ken Fortenberry
Post by frndthdevl
Post by Brad Greer
Post by frndthdevl
Post by Brad Greer
I've always liked their brews when I've been on the west coast,
recently (like the last month)
ahh, you traveled with the Ken Fortenberry itenerary. Brunch with Phil
too?
No, Ken doesn't check out west coast brewers. Do try to keep up,
Jeff.
Or members of recgd
I wouldn't mind meeting up with fellow rmgd'ers. In context. By
that I mean at a show. But I have no interest in meeting anonymous
screen names any place other than at a show and I will never, ever
in a million years bring my wife to a gathering of anonymous screen
names. Especially not THIS gathering of anonymous screen names.
If you wore this jacket at the next rmgd gathering, there's no way you
could be anonymous:

http://bit.ly/JSrsZs
Ken Fortenberry
2012-05-16 14:00:42 UTC
Post by Band Beyond Desu
Post by Ken Fortenberry
I wouldn't mind meeting up with fellow rmgd'ers. In context. By
that I mean at a show. But I have no interest in meeting anonymous
screen names any place other than at a show and I will never, ever
in a million years bring my wife to a gathering of anonymous screen
names. Especially not THIS gathering of anonymous screen names.
If you wore this jacket at the next rmgd gathering, there's no way you
http://bit.ly/JSrsZs
Snazzy jacket, I like it.
Ken Fortenberry
The old geezer
2012-05-13 00:01:15 UTC
Post by sweetbac
[...]
Pyramid Outburst Imperial IPA is one of the BEST beers I've ever
tasted!!!!!

BTW, it's $18.99/12 pack here in "Progressive" NYS..The Land Of
Taxes!!!!

TOG

ND: POIIPA
NP: Nothing
Band Beyond Desu
2012-05-15 16:25:12 UTC
Post by The old geezer
NP: Nothing
Not to be confused with the Steve Roach catalog...
Band Beyond Desu
2012-05-17 17:05:45 UTC
Post by The old geezer
Post by sweetbac
[...]
There's one cool judge up there:

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/05/17/new-york-judge-reveals-medical-marijuana-use-and-pleads-for-legalization/
Neil X.
2012-05-13 03:10:58 UTC
Post by sweetbac
[...]
You are quite consistent in your unabashed love of wheaty brews. I've
come around on wheat beers somewhat over the past couple of years, and
it's Belgium that has been the cause. I do love me some Belgian beers
that contain wheat, saison being the primary example. I have seldom
tasted a saison that I didn't enjoy. Saisons rock. Wit is another
example of a wheat beer that I willingly quaff. Yes, Hoegaarden is
quite pleasant. Spice and fruit in beer, usually I'm not down this
that, but the unique combination of coriander and orange peel that is
used in Witbier is remarkably pleasant on the palate.

We used to get some Pyramid product in New England, but I haven't seen
it in a couple of years. I remember an amber or pale ale by Pyramid
that I really enjoyed.
gratefuljoe
2012-05-13 13:15:35 UTC
Post by sweetbac
[...]
Check out this one if you get a chance. Sixpoint is a fairly new
brewery making some real good stuff. The Apollo is got a Belgiumy/
Wheat thing going on:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/10607/80745
Neil X.
2012-05-13 21:16:36 UTC
Post by gratefuljoe
Post by sweetbac
[...]
There is a fair amount of Sixpoint product making its way to the
Boston area. In fact, I had a Sixpoint Sweet Action at lunch today.
Really nice high end version of a cream ale. Several other varieties
are truly excellent, e.g. the Righteous Rye Ale and the Harbinger
Farmhouse/Saison. They brew some fine beers at Sixpoint.

Peace,
Neil X.
Neil X.
gringo
2012-05-14 00:48:46 UTC
Post by Neil X.
Post by sweetbac
[...]
Saison is without a doubt my favorite beer style. Foret, Fantome... killer stuff. However, it really does need to be Belgian to be right. If you want the best, go get a Fantome Pissenlit. You are quite astute to lock into that style.

Kurt
Neil X.
2012-05-14 16:01:11 UTC
Post by gringo
Post by sweetbac
[...]
there are a few excellent domestic saisons. Two that I really enjoy,
and will hold up against and Belgian brand in quality, is Pretty
Things Brewing Project's Jack D'Or, and Bouldvard Brewing Company's
Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale. Both are truly delicious.

Peace,
Neil X.
Joker
2012-05-13 18:32:00 UTC
Post by sweetbac
[...]
My ex-roommate worked at Pyramid for a while. We got one free case of
beer per month and a deep discount on whatever else we wanted from
them. Free beer is the best beer in the world!