Bridgeport Ebenezer Ale Tasting Notes
sweetbac
2011-12-03 22:28:31 UTC
Wanting to mix it up a bit, I figured a new holiday
beer was in order...peeped the new release from the
reliable Bridgeport crew outta Portland...they IPA
is one of my favourites when I'm so inclined
Lets get to it...
Nice pour....deep crimson hue and head...VERY malty
on 1st pull...I like that...nothing cloying here...I also like
that...a touch of spice on the back end...VERY faint hints
of ...hmm...nutmeg?...nice touch...this aint yo mamas spice
rack like soo many breweries do with their X-mas releases..
( you LISTENING Anchor Steam?)
I think we have a winner here...hell, I'd drink this any season...
Nice job from a reliable brewery.

6.4% Alc by Vol
$7.49/6 pack (cold)
The old geezer
2011-12-03 22:42:04 UTC
Post by sweetbac
Wanting to mix it up a bit, I figured a new holiday
beer was in order...peeped the new release from the
reliable Bridgeport crew outta Portland...they IPA
is one of my favourites when I'm so inclined
Lets get to it...
Nice pour....deep crimson hue and head...VERY malty
on 1st pull...I like that...nothing cloying here...I also like
that...a touch of spice on the back end...VERY faint hints
of ...hmm...nutmeg?...nice touch...this aint yo mamas spice
rack like soo many breweries do with their X-mas releases..
( you LISTENING Anchor Steam?)
I think we have a winner here...hell, I'd drink this any season...
Nice job from a reliable brewery.
6.4% Alc by Vol
$7.49/6 pack (cold)
Had some of this last Xmas Season. A fine brew as you stated. Came
in a pint (or larger) bottle though.....IIRC...which I most likely
don't.....then I can remember Piel's Real Draft Big Mouth Bottles with
the pull off aluminum caps.....89 cents a 6 back in '70...which if my
"times everything by 10" formula works correctly to figure out price
relavancy from 40 years ago would sell for $8.99 a six.....which would
make it overpriced.......maybe not.....

The old geezer

ND: Red Hook Brewery Winter Hook Ale
NP: Gateway - Erik Wollo
gringo
2011-12-06 00:40:12 UTC
Post by sweetbac
[...]
dude, you're hammered and getting all nostalgic again....

Kurt
dr.narcolepsy
2011-12-03 22:47:04 UTC
Nice. Just change a few more words, next time.
sweetbac
2011-12-03 22:56:54 UTC
Post by dr.narcolepsy
Nice. Just change a few more words, next time.
This coming from a cat who can't buy beer on sunday.
Nuff sed.
frndthdevl
2011-12-03 23:34:43 UTC
oops never mind, I forgot you don't do beers over 7%
frndthdevl
2011-12-03 23:33:57 UTC
Post by sweetbac
Nice.  Just change a few more words, next time.
This coming from a cat who can't buy beer on sunday.
Nuff sed.
Where are the reviews on beers that cost more than 25 cents an oz.
What about the recent Firestone Walker 15?Stone 11/11/11. how about a
review on the current batch of Pliny The Elder,or last years Pliny the
Younger, or any Russian River ION beer ftm? How about the 2011 Abyss,
is your 2008 cellared Abyss holding up?
Stone Sublimely Self rightous sounds like your kind of beer, How about
a review on Ballast Point Sculpin or AleSmith Speedway Stout.
sweetbac
2011-12-03 23:50:19 UTC
When San Diego brews a decent beer, I'll review it.
Randy G
2011-12-04 02:55:22 UTC
Post by sweetbac
When San Diego brews a decent beer, I'll review it.
Ouch. I'd buy you a SD beer just for that. Sculpin is back on tap here
in NC, but I won't pay $8 a pint for it. I did get a clone recipe
directly from the brewer during my last visit to the taproom.
I brew the shit for 1/5 the price you buy it for - I rarely buy beer
any more, unless I'm traveling. I probably have 25 gallons of beer in
my house now lol.

On tap;
Belgian Saison 9%
Belgian IPA - 7%
Belgian Tripel in bottles - 11.5%
Plus misc other beers in the cellar

Fermenting:
Stone Ruination clone - 7%
Alesmith Evil Dead Red clone - 6.66%

On deck:
Stone Sublimely Self Righteous clone - 8% target
Bourbon barrel imperial stout - 12% target

Meads:
Pomegranate - 13%
Pineapple - 12%
Black Cherry vanilla - 12%
Grape

Fermenting:
Peach w/ vanilla bean - 14%

For any homebrewers out there, a hop shortage is happening, so stock
up. I bought a pound each of Centennial, Amarillo, Magnum, Cascade,
and Hallertauer from www.hopsdirect.com. Instead of paying $3 an oz,
you can buy a whole pound for $15 or so.
sweetbac
2011-12-04 03:54:44 UTC
Post by Randy G
Ouch. I'd buy you a SD beer just for that.
I'm not here for free drinks, son.
<stares>
gringo
2011-12-06 00:41:58 UTC
Post by Randy G
Post by sweetbac
[...]
Waiting on Sculpin (again) here in RTP... Lots of stores waiting...
killer beer.

Kurt
Randy G
2011-12-06 00:47:59 UTC
Post by gringo
Waiting on Sculpin (again) here in RTP... Lots of stores waiting...
killer beer.
Kurt
I think there was 20 kegs in NC last I heard.

f***@comcast.net
2011-12-04 00:37:58 UTC
Post by sweetbac
Wanting to mix it up a bit, I figured a new holiday
beer was in order...peeped the new release from the
reliable Bridgeport crew outta Portland...they IPA
is one of my favourites when I'm so inclined
Lets get to it...
Nice pour....deep crimson hue and head...VERY malty
on 1st pull...I like that...nothing cloying here...I also like
that...a touch of spice on the back end...VERY faint hints
of ...hmm...nutmeg?...nice touch...this aint yo mamas spice
rack like soo many breweries do with their X-mas releases..
( you LISTENING Anchor Steam?)
I think we have a winner here...hell, I'd drink this any season...
Nice job from a reliable brewery.
6.4% Alc by Vol
$7.49/6 pack (cold)
I can't get Bridgeport in NJ, can't get alot of left coast brews.But I
just had the Lagunitas Sucks holiday ale and that was pretty
tasty.they call it a double ipa but it's not over the top piney.my son
had an old(last year?)anchor xmas at thanksgiving.he is a novice beer
drinker @20 years old but he nailed it saying it tastes like a
candle.awful stuff
f***@comcast.net
2011-12-04 01:37:53 UTC
Post by f***@comcast.net
Post by sweetbac
[...]
gotta say Stone doesn't make a bad beer either.they took over the pony
bar in nyc some months ago.22 taps all stone
Randy G
2011-12-04 02:58:39 UTC
Post by f***@comcast.net
gotta say Stone doesn't make a bad beer either.they took over the pony
bar in nyc some months ago.22 taps all stone
That was a nice thing they did - total tap takeover. A local place
here in Charlotte will probably win the Most Arrogant Bar award again
this year - they were selling $1 pints of Arrogant Bastard all week
during the contest, $3 pints of double bastard. Greg Koch will be
coming back to Charlotte yet again this year for the party.

Stone's Sublimely Self Righteous started the black IPA craze I
believe, now you can buy one just about anywhere. Real nice beer.