Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Steve Terry
2005-07-17 23:51:15 UTC
Just saw this last night and can't help but try to compare it to its
predecessor, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. First of all, Gene
Wilder totally kicks Johnny Depp's ass as Wonka. Wilder nailed it in a way
only he could. Depp seemed to turn Willy into a combination of Michael
Jackson and Frances McDormand's Marge Gunderson in the movie Fargo. Depp
took the eccentric bit too far if ya ask me. The new Charlie gets my nod
over the old one. Heck, this new kid even has those awful Austin Power's
crooked teeth. The old Charlie couldn't act or sing a note either. Grandpa
Joe was basically a draw, with a slight advantage going to the newer version
since the actor's name is Dave Kelly. Special effects have to go to the
modern version, by definition I guess. The Oompa Loompas were far better in
the old version. If I ever see Deep Roy again it will be too soon. The music
sucked in both movies, but I'll give the advantage to the older movie,
because, well, everything was better in the 70's, especially songs sung by
Oompa Loompas. In summary, give me Gene Wilder and Slugworth and Fizzy
lifting drinks and golden eggs over Johnny "Gunderson" Depp and Deep
"Throat" Roy and Tim Burton's darkness and bad nuts. BTW, my daughter likes
the new movie better, and maybe I should read the book before trying to
compare these two movies. Mmmmm, chocolate.
DGDevin
2005-07-18 01:50:18 UTC
Post by Steve Terry
Just saw this last night and can't help but try to compare it to its
predecessor, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. First of all, Gene
Wilder totally kicks Johnny Depp's ass as Wonka. Wilder nailed it in a way
only he could. Depp seemed to turn Willy into a combination of Michael
Jackson and Frances McDormand's Marge Gunderson in the movie Fargo.
Depp seems to be working his way through the Stones, he was Keith Richards
in the Pirate flick, now he's doing a brunette version of Brian Jones, I
shudder to think what he'll do with Charlie Watts.
JimK
2005-07-18 02:55:49 UTC
On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 01:50:18 GMT, "DGDevin"
Post by DGDevin
Post by Steve Terry
Just saw this last night and can't help but try to compare it to its
predecessor, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. First of all, Gene
Wilder totally kicks Johnny Depp's ass as Wonka. Wilder nailed it in a way
only he could. Depp seemed to turn Willy into a combination of Michael
Jackson and Frances McDormand's Marge Gunderson in the movie Fargo.
Depp seems to be working his way through the Stones, he was Keith Richards
in the Pirate flick, now he's doing a brunette version of Brian Jones, I
shudder to think what he'll do with Charlie Watts.
Keith will be playing Johnny's father in one of the sequels to Pirates
of the Caribbean, btw.

JimK
Rupert
2005-07-18 03:36:42 UTC
Keith playing Depp's father was the main condition for him doing the
picture. He said he wouldn't do a sequel without Keef.
DGDevin
2005-07-18 05:58:59 UTC
Post by Rupert
Keith playing Depp's father was the main condition for him doing the
picture. He said he wouldn't do a sequel without Keef.
That's a bit hard to swallow, both sequels are already in pre-production and
Richards still hasn't inked a deal, Depp himself said only a couple of days
ago that it *appears* Richards will be doing a cameo.

I hope Depp does an appearance as Jack Sparrow during the Stones tour, now
that could be fun, even Richards says Depp knows his way around a guitar.
brew ziggins
2005-07-18 15:00:13 UTC
Post by Steve Terry
Just saw this last night and can't help but try to compare it to its
predecessor, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. First of all, Gene
Wilder totally kicks Johnny Depp's ass as Wonka. Wilder nailed it in a way
only he could. Depp seemed to turn Willy into a combination of Michael
Jackson and Frances McDormand's Marge Gunderson in the movie Fargo.
I've heard Anna Wintour (!?!?) mentioned as an inspiration for this
portrayal.
Post by Steve Terry
The new Charlie gets my nod over the old one.
I just learned last week that Peter Ostrum went to Cornell the same time
I did. It's entirely possible that I could have stumbled into a North
Campus bong session one night, sat down across from a guy, taken a long
draw during that really cool part of 'Close to the Edge' and just as I
exhaled, had the guy say, 'Hey I was Charlie Bucket'. Talk about
potential brain cell loss.

Actually, I understand he totally shuns attention, and is a veterinarian
somewhere in Upstate NY.
--
bruce higgins ithaca ny
most of the day, we were at the machinery
Tod

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
the wharf rat
2005-07-18 16:33:18 UTC
everything was better in the 70's, especially songs sung by Oompa Loompas
Oompa Loompa it's very sad
they had to make a movie this bad.
Oompa Loompa dippity doe
If I was you I sure wouldn't go.
DB
2005-07-18 21:39:38 UTC
Post by Steve Terry
Just saw this last night and can't help but try to compare it to its
predecessor,
<SNIP>
Grandpa
Post by Steve Terry
Joe was basically a draw, with a slight advantage going to the newer version
since the actor's name is Dave Kelly.
<SNIP>

You know you are in too deep when.....

You go to a remake of a classic movie and decide that one of new actors
is better that one of the old ones because he shares a name with one of
the habitues of this part of cyberspace. You may want to consider
professional help. On the other hand, I agree with you that Oompa
Loompa's were better in the 70's. I think I saw them open for Three Dog
Night once. They were tight.

DB
Steve Terry
2005-07-19 00:56:16 UTC
Post by DB
You know you are in too deep when.....
You go to a remake of a classic movie and decide that one of new actors is
better that one of the old ones because he shares a name with one of the
habitues of this part of cyberspace.
Well, I liked both of the Grandpa Joes pretty much equally so the DK factor
was my tiebreaker. And, at least according to Depp, this new movie is not a
remake, but instead both movies are just interpretations of the same book.
There were some differences in the general plots that have me curious enough
to read the book. And supposedly Roald Dahl, the book's author, didn't like
the 1971 "classic". I'd be curious to know what he thinks of this most
recent effort, but alas he is no longer with us. Might he be rolling over in
his grave?
JimK
2005-07-19 03:11:50 UTC
Post by Steve Terry
Post by DB
You know you are in too deep when.....
You go to a remake of a classic movie and decide that one of new actors is
better that one of the old ones because he shares a name with one of the
habitues of this part of cyberspace.
Well, I liked both of the Grandpa Joes pretty much equally so the DK factor
was my tiebreaker. And, at least according to Depp, this new movie is not a
remake, but instead both movies are just interpretations of the same book.
There were some differences in the general plots that have me curious enough
to read the book. And supposedly Roald Dahl, the book's author, didn't like
the 1971 "classic". I'd be curious to know what he thinks of this most
recent effort, but alas he is no longer with us. Might he be rolling over in
his grave?
1971??? Please tell me it wasn't that long ago. Where does the time
go?

JimK
dyrewlf
2005-07-20 06:45:59 UTC
"Steve Terry" <***@ccrtc.com> wrote in message news:dberl2$1bn6$***@news.iquest.net...
Grandpa
Post by Steve Terry
Joe was basically a draw, with a slight advantage going to the newer
version since the actor's name is Dave Kelly.
Sorry, but if it's a draw then the advantage has always got to be for "The
Man".
Cheetah
2005-07-20 15:18:28 UTC
The movie Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is based on the original
book "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory....not based on the movie
"Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" It is not a remake