Sierra Nevada Tumbler Autumn Brown Ale Tasting Notes
Sweetbac
2010-08-01 20:02:12 UTC
Having been disappointed in the last release from
Sierra Nevada (Kellerweiss) I was somewhat apprehensive
about this new brew from the ( usually) reliable brewery
in Chico....a brown ale.....hmmmm.....
Suffice to say, my fears were alleviated on 1st sip...
A full malty pull that explodes on the tongue...not too sweet..
caramel notes...beautiful golden brown head...not cloying
nor overly bodacious...no...this has acheived perfect balance.
Looks like my faith in Sierra Nevada is restored!
12 pack/$15.99
Rupert
2010-08-01 23:05:07 UTC
Thank you! I saw this at BevMo the other day, and was also
apprehensive.
b***@aaool.com
2010-08-01 23:35:27 UTC
On Sun, 1 Aug 2010 13:02:12 -0700, "Sweetbac"
Post by Sweetbac
Having been disappointed in the last release from
Sierra Nevada (Kellerweiss) I was somewhat apprehensive
about this new brew from the ( usually) reliable brewery
in Chico....a brown ale.....hmmmm.....
Suffice to say, my fears were alleviated on 1st sip...
A full malty pull that explodes on the tongue...not too sweet..
caramel notes...beautiful golden brown head...not cloying
nor overly bodacious...no...this has acheived perfect balance.
Looks like my faith in Sierra Nevada is restored!
12 pack/$15.99
They actually have 12-packs of this at my local Food Lion in Bumf*ck,
VA. I'll indulge.
Sweetbac
2010-08-01 23:57:47 UTC
Post by b***@aaool.com
They actually have 12-packs of this at my local Food Lion in Bumf*ck,
VA. I'll indulge.
This is a quality brown....
I'm a big Newcastle fan, and this is better.
Hopefully it stays in rotation....this will be a year round quaff.
Sierra also did a good job with the Torpedo IPA...
but I dont like the high alcohol volume....7.2%....lawd-a-mercy.
I like to drink a lot, and that shit does me in the following morning.
What is a "Food Lion" anyhows, Bizz-ness?....the store I got the
brown at had a big Genesse Cream display...I guess they are really
pushing a new market.....I was tempted, but at $7.99 a sixpack
I couldn't pull da trigger!
No....you'll dig this brown.
Seth Buttock
2010-08-02 00:03:14 UTC
Post by Sweetbac
Post by b***@aaool.com
They actually have 12-packs of this at my local Food Lion in Bumf*ck,
VA.  I'll indulge.
This is a quality brown....
I'm a big Newcastle fan
Ain't that the truth, sister!
Post by Sweetbac
, and this is better.
Hopefully it stays in rotation....this will be a year round quaff.
Sierra also did a good job with the Torpedo IPA...
but I dont like the high alcohol volume....7.2%....lawd-a-mercy.
I like to drink a lot
We can hear your liver screaming!
IAAHSWYPII
b***@aaool.com
2010-08-02 01:07:38 UTC
On Sun, 1 Aug 2010 16:57:47 -0700, "Sweetbac"
Post by Sweetbac
Post by b***@aaool.com
They actually have 12-packs of this at my local Food Lion in Bumf*ck,
VA. I'll indulge.
This is a quality brown....
I'm a big Newcastle fan, and this is better.
Hopefully it stays in rotation....this will be a year round quaff.
Sierra also did a good job with the Torpedo IPA...
but I dont like the high alcohol volume....7.2%....lawd-a-mercy.
I like to drink a lot, and that shit does me in the following morning.
What is a "Food Lion" anyhows, Bizz-ness?....the store I got the
brown at had a big Genesse Cream display...I guess they are really
pushing a new market.....I was tempted, but at $7.99 a sixpack
I couldn't pull da trigger!
No....you'll dig this brown.
Food Lion is the worst supermarket chain in Amurrika. I only go there
when the local IGA is closed. Actually the Food Lion now calls itself
"Bloom"; think lipstick on a pig. But, they did have 12 packs of this
new brown ale for $14.99. I think they have the Torpedos, too...
that's good stuff... I might now know why I might be slow to rise in
the morning, since I've been buying those recently. Either that or
the bourbon.

Genessee for $8? Now, there's a rip-off.
3jane.
2010-08-02 15:47:55 UTC
Genessee for $8?  Now, there's a rip-off.-
$.79 a quart when I was in college, I probably got about 1/3 of my
calories from it.
Neil X
2010-08-02 17:03:08 UTC
Post by Sweetbac
Having been disappointed in the last release from
Sierra Nevada (Kellerweiss) I was somewhat apprehensive
about this new brew from the ( usually) reliable brewery
in Chico....a brown ale.....hmmmm.....
Suffice to say, my fears were alleviated on 1st sip...
A full malty pull that explodes on the tongue...not too sweet..
caramel notes...beautiful golden brown head...not cloying
nor overly bodacious...no...this has acheived perfect balance.
Looks like my faith in Sierra Nevada is restored!
12 pack/$15.99
The best seasonal offering that Sierra Nevada has put out in the past
couple of years was the Glissade Maibock. Really excellent take on
one of my favorite styles of beer. I am NOT a fan of brown ales.
Newcastle, ugh. Undrinkable dreck.

Peace,
Neil x.
Randy G
2010-08-02 18:24:04 UTC
Post by Neil X
I am NOT a fan of brown ales.
Newcastle, ugh.  Undrinkable dreck.
Peace,
Neil x.
HRYK. The clear bottles don't help one bit either. I haven't had one
in over a decade and a friend offered me one a couple weeks ago. Never
had a brown ale with a skunky aroma and aftertaste. Some people are
brainwashed into thinking this is a premium beer. The only English
ales I drink are either while I am in the UK, or one of my coworkers
in the UK send me back a few bottles when one of our US team goes over
there.
Andrew
2010-08-02 19:15:24 UTC
Post by Randy G
Post by Neil X
I am NOT a fan of brown ales.
Newcastle, ugh.  Undrinkable dreck.
Peace,
Neil x.
HRYK.
Well, I agree that Newcastle doesn't do much for me (although it is
significantly better on tap). But, I love a good brown ale, although
finding a good one isn't an easy task...
there.
Neil X
2010-08-02 20:18:31 UTC
Post by Andrew
Well, I agree that Newcastle doesn't do much for me (although it is
significantly better on tap). But, I love a good brown ale, although
finding a good one isn't an easy task...
Can you list any commercially available "good" brown ales? If they're
out there, I've never found them.

Peace,
Neil X.
Auxarmeslescitoyens
2010-08-02 20:39:51 UTC
Post by Andrew
Well, I agree that Newcastle doesn't do much for me (although it is
significantly better on tap). But, I love a good brown ale, although
finding a good one isn't an easy task...
Can you list any commercially available "good" brown ales?  If they're
out there, I've never found them.
Peace,
Neil X.
Stay away from the brown ale....

I go more for lagers and pilsners, but my latest highly enjoyable
quaff was a red, a Ribera del Duero: 1999 Uvaguilera Aguilera
Palomero, consumed on Saturday night with dry-aged rib-eyes with wild-
mushroom sauce, local corn and tomatoes (the latter with some
incredible feta from Astoria, Queens), grilled romaine, etc. The wine
had cherry and chocolate notes, long finish. Excellent wine.
dr.narcolepsy
Umm, a pilsner *is* a lager.
Lfh
2010-08-02 20:59:36 UTC
Post by dr.narcolepsy
Post by Auxarmeslescitoyens
I go more for lagers and pilsners, but my latest highly enjoyable
quaff was a red, a Ribera del Duero: 1999 Uvaguilera Aguilera
Palomero, consumed on Saturday night with dry-aged rib-eyes with wild-
mushroom sauce, local corn and tomatoes (the latter with some
incredible feta from Astoria, Queens), grilled romaine, etc. The wine
had cherry and chocolate notes, long finish. Excellent wine.
Umm, a pilsner *is* a lager.
Ah, narc, that's cold. d00d's bustin' out his best uber-pretentious
Astorian feta with the long notes and you gotta pop him for a beer
gaffe? Cold, I say.

Fred
Auxarmeslescitoyens
2010-08-03 13:27:43 UTC
Post by Lfh
Post by dr.narcolepsy
Post by Auxarmeslescitoyens
I go more for lagers and pilsners, but my latest highly enjoyable
quaff was a red, a Ribera del Duero: 1999 Uvaguilera Aguilera
Palomero, consumed on Saturday night with dry-aged rib-eyes with wild-
mushroom sauce, local corn and tomatoes (the latter with some
incredible feta from Astoria, Queens), grilled romaine, etc. The wine
had cherry and chocolate notes, long finish. Excellent wine.
Umm, a pilsner *is* a lager.
Ah, narc, that's cold. d00d's bustin' out his best uber-pretentious
Astorian feta with the long notes and you gotta pop him for a beer
gaffe? Cold, I say.
Fred
Just details, old man, no pretention intended. And if you knew a thing
or two about Astoria, you'd know that it's about as basic an NYC
neighborhood as there is, though it is a great food destination.

As for my confusing pilsner and lager, guilty as charged. But since
I'm no beer snob, that explains it.
dr.narcolepsy
2010-08-03 13:49:13 UTC
Post by Lfh
Post by dr.narcolepsy
[...]
You don't have to be a beer snob to start off with the very basics,
they'll help:
http://www.realbeer.com/library/beerbreak/archives/beerbreak20001130.php
http://www.apintofknowledge.com/BeerBasics.htm
http://www.beerbasics.com/the_beers.htm

You can read just a few lines on each of these pages, just one minute
on each page, and it'll help establish a rough framework, for you.

Before you know it, you'll be Geezer Kelly. Or is it The Old
Sweetbac?
Lfh
2010-08-03 19:23:48 UTC
Post by Lfh
Post by dr.narcolepsy
Post by Auxarmeslescitoyens
I go more for lagers and pilsners, but my latest highly enjoyable
quaff was a red, a Ribera del Duero: 1999 Uvaguilera Aguilera
Palomero, consumed on Saturday night with dry-aged rib-eyes with wild-
mushroom sauce, local corn and tomatoes (the latter with some
incredible feta from Astoria, Queens), grilled romaine, etc. The wine
had cherry and chocolate notes, long finish. Excellent wine.
Umm, a pilsner *is* a lager.
Ah, narc, that's cold. d00d's bustin' out his best uber-pretentious
Astorian feta with the long notes and you gotta pop him for a beer
gaffe? Cold, I say.
Fred
Just details, old man, no pretention intended.
Heh. I suppose it happens, but I'd wager that few start out with the
notion, "Now, for a little pretention."
Post by Auxarmeslescitoyens
And if you knew a thing
or two about Astoria, you'd know that it's about as basic an NYC
neighborhood as there is, though it is a great food destination.
Heh(2). d00d, reverse-chic pretension was better in the 70's, back
before it was ruined by Astorian non-beer-snobs.
Post by Auxarmeslescitoyens
As for my confusing pilsner and lager, guilty as charged. But since
I'm no beer snob, that explains it.
Heh(3) When I was residing in Prague, a few clicks from Pilsen, where
Pilsner was created, oh, how we would chuckle at the r00bs when they
would come in and ask for feta on their gnocci instead of bryndza. The
standard answer, of course, was, "where the fuck you think you are,
Astoria?"

Fred
dr.narcolepsy
Astorical!
Neil X
2010-08-02 21:03:01 UTC
Post by Andrew
Well, I agree that Newcastle doesn't do much for me (although it is
significantly better on tap). But, I love a good brown ale, although
finding a good one isn't an easy task...
Can you list any commercially available "good" brown ales?  If they're
out there, I've never found them.
Peace,
Neil X.
Stay away from the brown ale....
I go more for lagers and pilsners, but my latest highly enjoyable
quaff was a red, a Ribera del Duero: 1999 Uvaguilera Aguilera
Palomero, consumed on Saturday night with dry-aged rib-eyes with wild-
mushroom sauce, local corn and tomatoes (the latter with some
incredible feta from Astoria, Queens), grilled romaine, etc. The wine
had cherry and chocolate notes, long finish. Excellent wine.
Umm, a pilsner *is* a lager.
All pilsners are lagers, but not all lagers are pilsners. He likes
pilsners, and other lagers too.

Peace,
Neil X.
dr.narcolepsy
2010-08-02 21:07:47 UTC
Post by Andrew
[...]
Yes, a pilsner is a lager. It's a wonder nobody's put a spike through
your head while packing for a trip, shopping, etc.
Neil X
2010-08-03 20:21:34 UTC
Post by Andrew
[...]
It is? Usually when I'm being obnoxious, I know it. What's got you
set off here? For the record, I like pilsners and lagers. Pilsner
Urquell,, Lagunitas Pils and Victory Prima Pils are my favorite
Pilsners. Sam Adams Lager, Victory Lager and Brooklyn Lager are my
favorite lagers.

Peace,
Neil X.

Peace,
Neil X.
Ken Fortenberry
2010-08-03 20:26:42 UTC
Post by dr.narcolepsy
Yes, a pilsner is a lager. It's a wonder nobody's put a spike through
your head while packing for a trip, shopping, etc.
It is? Usually when I'm being obnoxious, I know it. ...
Good grief <insert eye roll here>.

My favorite pilsner style lager is Budweiser the King of Beers.
Ken Fortenberry
dr.narcolepsy
2010-08-03 21:11:04 UTC
Post by Ken Fortenberry
Yes, a pilsner is a lager.  It's a wonder nobody's put a spike through
your head while packing for a trip, shopping, etc.
It is?  Usually when I'm being obnoxious, I know it. ...
Good grief <insert eye roll here>.
My favorite pilsner style lager is Budweiser the King of Beers.
from:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilsner

Pilseners as a marketing category

A pilsener is generally regarded as different from other pale lagers
by a more prominent hop character, particularly from the use of Saaz
noble hops and spring (soft) water. While pilsener is best defined in
terms of its characteristics and heritage, the term is also used by
some brewers (particularly in North America) to indicate their
"premium" beer, whether or not it has a particular hop character.

That is a fact. Now tell me, am I lyin'?
Brad Greer
2010-08-05 01:05:21 UTC
On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 15:26:42 -0500, Ken Fortenberry
Post by Ken Fortenberry
Post by dr.narcolepsy
Yes, a pilsner is a lager. It's a wonder nobody's put a spike through
your head while packing for a trip, shopping, etc.
It is? Usually when I'm being obnoxious, I know it. ...
Good grief <insert eye roll here>.
My favorite pilsner style lager is Budweiser the King of Beers.
Budweiser might call itself a Pilsner but it's hardly faithful to the
style.
Randy G
2010-08-05 02:56:01 UTC
More like a Pissner.
dr.narcolepsy
2010-08-05 02:58:08 UTC
Post by Randy G
Post by Brad Greer
Post by Ken Fortenberry
My favorite pilsner style lager is Budweiser the King of Beers.
Budweiser might call itself a Pilsner but it's hardly faithful to the
style.
More like a Pissner.
Wait'll the Occifer catches him!

DanPopp
ergo, pilsners equal squares and lagers equal rhombi.
Lfh
2010-08-02 22:25:44 UTC
Post by DanPopp
Post by dr.narcolepsy
Umm, a pilsner *is* a lager.
All pilsners are lagers, but not all lagers are pilsners.  He likes
pilsners, and other lagers too.
Peace,
Neil X.
ergo, pilsners equal squares and lagers equal rhombi.
All similes are metaphors, but not all metaphors are similes.

Fred
Randy G
2010-08-02 22:25:57 UTC
On Aug 2, 4:03 pm, Neil X <***@yahoo.com> wrote:
.
All pilsners are lagers, but not all lagers are pilsners.  He likes
pilsners, and other lagers too.
Peace,
Neil X.- Hide quoted text -
I always get a kick out of when people tell me they like ales and
stouts. Ummm Ok.
Bell's Best Brown Ale is one of my favorites, it has some good hops to
cut the maltiness. If you can find it, I can almost guarantee you will
like it. Or I will buy you a replacement next time I am in town. On my
company of course LOL
Sweetbac
2010-08-02 22:18:00 UTC
Post by Auxarmeslescitoyens
Stay away from the brown ale....
Ah man.......ya killin' me.
peep game.
http://www.dazzlerweb.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=11617

what the fuck you punks got ta say NOW!
Randy G
2010-08-02 22:27:29 UTC
Like you, he likes it in the can.
Andrew
2010-08-02 20:44:41 UTC
Post by Andrew
Well, I agree that Newcastle doesn't do much for me (although it is
significantly better on tap). But, I love a good brown ale, although
finding a good one isn't an easy task...
Can you list any commercially available "good" brown ales?  If they're
out there, I've never found them.
Lost Coast's Downtown Brown is a very good one... I liked the previous
Sierra brown that came out. I love the Rogue Hazelnut Brown, but
that's probably a little sweet for most people's tastes... I know
North Coast has a good one, I think it's one of their "Acme" beers..
Neil X
2010-08-02 21:00:42 UTC
Post by Andrew
Post by Andrew
Well, I agree that Newcastle doesn't do much for me (although it is
significantly better on tap). But, I love a good brown ale, although
finding a good one isn't an easy task...
Can you list any commercially available "good" brown ales?  If they're
out there, I've never found them.
Lost Coast's Downtown Brown is a very good one... I liked the previous
Sierra brown that came out. I love the Rogue Hazelnut Brown, but
that's probably a little sweet for most people's tastes... I know
North Coast has a good one, I think it's one of their "Acme" beers..
Since I really don't like strong caramel flavors in beer, I don't
think I'll ever find a brown ale that I like, as the thing that makes
brown beer brown is caramelized malt. I might be able to deal with it
if there was a healthy dose of hops to balance it, but most brown ales
I've tasted have been essentially hops-free.

Peace,
Neil X.
Andrew
2010-08-02 21:08:42 UTC
Post by Neil X
Post by Andrew
Post by Andrew
[...]
Heh. Yup. If you don't like brown ales, you probably won't find a
brown ale you like...
Neil X

Neil X.
Randy G
2010-08-02 22:33:31 UTC
Post by Neil X
Since I really don't like strong caramel flavors in beer, I don't
think I'll ever find a brown ale that I like, as the thing that makes
brown beer brown is caramelized malt.  I might be able to deal with it
if there was a healthy dose of hops to balance it, but most brown ales
I've tasted have been essentially hops-free.
Peace,
Neil X.
Like I said in a previous post, try Bell's Best Brown ale from MI. It
is a seasonal beer and is probably available in the next month or so.
Neil X
2010-08-04 02:01:10 UTC
Post by Randy G
Post by Neil X
Since I really don't like strong caramel flavors in beer, I don't
think I'll ever find a brown ale that I like, as the thing that makes
brown beer brown is caramelized malt.  I might be able to deal with it
if there was a healthy dose of hops to balance it, but most brown ales
I've tasted have been essentially hops-free.
Peace,
Neil X.
Like I said in a previous post, try Bell's Best Brown ale from MI. It
is a seasonal beer and is probably available in the next month or so.
We don't seem to get Bell's out here in New England. I saw it in a
bar in Chicago once, and in liquor stores on the North Side. They
don't seem to have penetrated into Boston. You aren't the first
person who has told me good things about Bell's.

Peace,
Neil X.
Brad Greer
2010-08-05 01:02:31 UTC
Post by Neil X
Post by Sweetbac
Having been disappointed in the last release from
Sierra Nevada (Kellerweiss) I was somewhat apprehensive
about this new brew from the ( usually) reliable brewery
in Chico....a brown ale.....hmmmm.....
Suffice to say, my fears were alleviated on 1st sip...
A full malty pull that explodes on the tongue...not too sweet..
caramel notes...beautiful golden brown head...not cloying
nor overly bodacious...no...this has acheived perfect balance.
Looks like my faith in Sierra Nevada is restored!
12 pack/$15.99
The best seasonal offering that Sierra Nevada has put out in the past
couple of years was the Glissade Maibock. Really excellent take on
one of my favorite styles of beer. I am NOT a fan of brown ales.
Newcastle, ugh. Undrinkable dreck.
Is the Glissade a seasonal? It seems to be around all the time in
this area.